Thursday, October 05, 2006

I Missed It

A pretty good article which I missed until today. Take a look:

The Marion County prosecutor race between incumbent Carl Brizzi (R) and challenger Melina Kennedy (D) is hitting full stride. You know this is the case because the negative attack ads have recently hit the airwaves.

I have paid some attention to the race but have to admit that my interest is minimal. The reason I’m not following the race closely is two fold.

Firstly, I generally don’t favor democrats in positions where being “tough” is a job requirement.
In my opinion, prosecutor is definitely a job that requires being “tough” and I’m skeptical that today’s democrats rise to the necessary level of “toughness”.

Democrats are known for their penchant to “rehabilitate” vs. punish (ie; obtain justice) and I’m a firm believer that the latter should be the top priority while the former is merely a more inclusive possibility depending on the crime committed and the possibility for success.
Secondly, Melina Kennedy is inexperienced in both the courtroom and the inner workings of the prosecutor’s office.

Kennedy claims that her inexperience with being a trial prosecutor is trumped by her organizational skills and ability to lead. I agree to some degree that different experiences and leadership qualities can translate from job to job but that isn’t categorically always the case.
For example, I don’t want a great basketball coach leading a team of surgeons in the operating room…or vice versa.

The fact that Kennedy has never worked in a prosecutor's office, never filed a charge, never tried a case and never prosecuted a criminal bothers me. Moreover, if elected, Kennedy would have less trial experience than every other prosecutor on her staff, including many of the interns.

Our crime wave has been on the upswing in Indianapolis and that makes the choice for prosecutor a critical one. Based on what I know today, I’m not willing to vote for an inexperienced candidate that is aligned with a democratic party known for it’s lack of judicial toughness (or toughness in general).

Obviously, what I’ve written isn’t an endorsement of Carl Brizzi or given you a reason why you should vote FOR him. I’ve just given you the reasons why I likely won’t vote FOR his opponent.
So...sticking with the latest campaign rhetoric, I’m sorry to say I'm unfortunately guilty of writing a negative attack blog.

Shame on me.

3 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brody,
Where did that article come from?

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Sir Hailstone said...

Sounds like this writer hit it on the head. Meliar has NO experience. This isn't like you're on city council or a township board. As prosecutor YOU ARE IT! You are the last line of defense against the criminals.

Also distrubing is her trips to Lake County for fundraising. Why would a Marion County candidate want with money from a county 150 miles away? Perhaps to repay political favors to her boss Bart Peterson?

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Sir Hailstone said...

8:49 did you not check the links?

It came from InTAKE - a feature of the McPaper Indianapolis Star.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home